Monday, March 23, 2009

Super sovereign reserve currency

Sounds impressive. I'm intrigued. Now I must learn more.

I read The End of National Currency (log in req'd) in Foreign Affairs in 2007. I thought the argument was compelling. Now, the Chinese are moving the argument forward (article here)with a call to reform global monetary markets by making an IMF monetary instrument the new international reserve. 

Now, I need to find a clearer, deeper explanation of  how this works. Initially, I like the general concept. The current world economic slowdown might be an opportune time, if this turns out to be a worthy idea. 

1 comment:

daniel said...

Interesting idea. Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan would probably support it as long as they called it the "acmetal" - http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/03/10/kazakh_president_proposes_global_currency